I support research institutions in integrating qualitative methods and research software into their organizational frameworks, and I support individuals and organizations in building intellectual and technical infrastructures for collecting, making accessible, and analyzing massive qualitative data sets.
I conduct classes (college-level and above), workshops and coaching sessions on a variety of topics within the field of qualitative research. I assist researchers and research groups in choosing appropriate analytic techniques and workflows, as well as in choosing and integrating software solutions.
Contact: Schmieder Research Consulting LLC // email@example.com
Handling qualitative data.
- MAXQDA, NVIVO, Dedoose, ATLAS.TI, f4analyse, OpenCode, WeftQDA
- Integrating qualitative data analysis software into your project: options, challenges, work flows
- Paper & screen: The hybrid use of QDA software
- QDA software and its discourse: hopes, fears, future impact
BUILDING CURRICULUM & INSTITUTIONAL SUPPORT STRUCTURES
- Curriculum Development & integration of software into existing curricular frameworks
- Institutional Community & Resource development for qualitative research & applied methodological workflows
- Consulting on strategic institutional implementation of qualitative methods and research software
- Train-the-trainer sessions on QDA software and methodology
Generating qualitative data.
- Preparing and conducting interviews, group discussions, focus groups, expert interviews
- Recording and transcribing audio and video data
Analyzing qualitative data.
- Theoretical & Practical Foundations of Qualitative Analysis
- Reconstructive Analysis, Content Analysis, Grounded Theory, Discourse Analysis, Conversation Analysis
- Metaphor analysis in the Social Sciences
- Language-Focused Analytic Heuristics in Qualitative Research
Previous workshops, talks, lectures & Consulting (selection)
- University of Santa Barbara (CA): Dpt. of Education, Gevirtz School
- University of Southern California (CA): Pullias Center for Higher Education
- University at Albany-SUNY (NY): Dpt. of Educational Theory & Practice
- Michigan State University (MI): College of Education
- UW Madison (WI): School of Education / STS - Software Training for Students / Social Sciences Computing Cooperative / University of Wisconsin-Cooperative Extension / University of Wisconsin Extension Continuing Education, Outreach & E-Learning (CEOEL) / Institute for Research on Poverty / University of Wisconsin Law School / Games+Learning+Society Research Group / School of Social Work / Department of Sociology / School of Medicine and Public Health / Wisconsin Center for Education Research (WCER) / School of Journalism & Mass Communication
- Colgate University (NY): Dept. of Geography / Dept. of Sociology and Anthropology / Upstate Institute / Division of Social Sciences
- Public Health Madison & Dane County
- FU Berlin: Center for European Integration, NFG Research Group / Berlin Graduate School for Transnational Studies / Berlin Graduate School Muslim Cultures & Societies / Dahlem Research School
- Freiburg University: Dept. of Political Science / Dpt. of Sociology / Methods Springschool / Dpt. of Anthropology / Dpt. of Archeology
- Vilnius University (Lithuania): Faculty of Philosophy
- Institute of Global and Area Studies, Hamburg
- Research Institute for Regional and Urban Development GmbH, Dortmund
- Tübingen University: Institute of Occupational and Social Medicine
- Humboldt University Berlin: Institute for Educational Sciences